Thursday, October 1, 2009

Hey You! Sit down and Listen!



Over the last few years (specifically, the exact amount of time Tim and I have been together) I have found myself thrust into an environment that I would have never guessed I would be around, let alone a part of. I have always loved music, but I loved it for it's comforts, for it's familiar words and tunes, for it's reminder of love and family and car trips I might have otherwise forgotten.

I never felt that devoted to KNOWING music or knowing and hearing lots of bands. In fact, whenever I went to a concert I mostly just felt bored. I mean, really bored. Not necessarily because the music was bad, but something about that environment just couldn't capture me.

Well, needless to say I've had to get over a lot of that. There's a lot of waiting involved with being in a band. A lot of waiting and then hurrying up. It's taken me a while but I think I've finally learned that the secret to enjoying music and enjoying playing music and simply to allow yourself to enjoy it. So often, I get caught up in the hurried details of having to do this or that or forgetting something or thinking we forgot something, or forgetting the words or the keys or the chords.

This week we enjoyed a house show at our friend Jesse's house, featuring the extremely talented Chris Bell. There's just nothing like enjoying the music of your friends with your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment